<quote who="Mehmet Ozdemir">

> Then should it be something that is done?
> I mean marketing in a fairly loose sense, after all if the aim is to get
> paid up members then maybe we should go out there looking for them.

Having "paid up members" isn't really the purpose of SLUG. Showing people
the benefits of Free Software, sure.

> Sorry I can't say that I was. Like I said my new little beastie is
> taking up a lot of my computing time. Any chance of brief recap, or a
> pointer to when this was disussed on the list so I can catch up.

It was discussed at a number of meetings, and the AGM.

> This I accept, and really $25.00 + GST isn't really going to be missed,
> but one may still ask the question what the $25.00 gets them, other a
> peice of papaer and voting rights.

It gets you SLUG. I think that's a pretty good deal.

[ Yes, we have discussed other stuff for members, and it's something that
Craige and I are particularly vocal about. We have always been open to
suggestions and ideas; post to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or here. ]

> Will these change be put to a vote ?

Changes to the constitution are subject to the current constitution, which
requires a quorum and a special general meeting.

> It would also be helpful for this info to be online, the site seems to
> be missing this sort of stuff.

http://slug.org.au/model.shtml

[ No need to mention that this should be clearer in a new SLUG website. ]

> Also I remember last year at the AGM that
> a member was asking for financials to be published, and the president
> (Conrad) agreed, this sort of transparency still doesn't exist :(

You really should have been to the AGM, for all of this stuff.

Last year, the financial details were published (somewhat unconventionally)
on the front page of the website, and will also be published this year as
soon as the Treasurer submits his final report.

The subject of transparency also came up, and at the last committee meeting,
we agreed that committee meeting summaries would be sent to the mailing list
every month, soon after. [ Gus has not yet posted these however, so i will
check up on that. ]

- Jeff

--
  You'll see what I mean.