Hi Marty,

Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> we had ADSL installed today.

> came home, installed roaring penguin pppoe and pmfirewall (for
> firewall/NAT).

> up and running in less then half an hour.

I sometimes wonder why Telstra will not support linux for ADSL, as it clearly
works quite well.  As you have found out (and I noticed as well), getting the
ADSL connection going under linux took _far_ less time than it did for the
techie to configure it under Windows (and ultimately stuff it up completely).

It's _very_ hard to diagnose installation issues when Win98 does not have logs
available.  That scenario comes down to the skills of the techie (and the
customer sometimes).

> big shout to rebecca for the web page, it was fantastic to have such a
> comprehensive rundown of the process and pitfalls.

Thanks Marty.

I get lots of hits on the page but very little email with suggestions, comments,
corrections, criticism, or praise.

I'm hoping to get my ADSL reconnected soon (as I've just moved residence).
Updating distros through a 33.6k line is rather _slow_ (12 months ago I thought
it was quite fast).

Cheers,
--
Rebecca Richards, CCSA CCSE, Unix/Security Consultant, e-Secure Pty Ltd
"Secure in a Networked World"     Phone:  (02) 9438 4984 Fax: (02) 9438 4986