OK, this is not a plug, but I wrote an e-commerce gateway when I was working
for NetRegistry ( www.netregistry.com.au ) that I considerred fairly nice.
If you were coding on the server, it had a pretty nice API. Also I think
it's flat fee, no transaction fees, although I did the math, and it only
becomes worth it past 50 or 100 transactions a month. You can write your
payment app in Perl, or there are a couple of apps they provide ( they are
REALLY simple, for example, I did a Matt Wright FormMail with e-commerce
capability hacked in while I was there ).

They are local, it works with both St George and NAB, and unless it's been
turned off since I left, there was an API that let you connect from
anywhere. Of course they may have since started forcing people to use this
IBM WebSphere thingy... so check it out first.

Oh, and all their servers run linux.

We ( when I was there ) were heaps better than CamTech I thought.

Note to those with memory: I was not responsible for the .com.au dns
registry spam, I'd only been there a week, what could I do :(

AdamK

P.S. Oh, and if the gateway is still the way I remember, I'm available to
code applications for it :)