On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:16:07PM +1000, Mike Lake wrote:

> When I point it at http://localhost/~mikel I get
> "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /~mikel on this server."
>
> AND the URL in the browser changes to:
>         http://mycomputername.mydomain.edu.au/~mikel/

In your apache configuration search for UseCanonicalName
and set it to off. Comments in the file explain what it means.

> (That means that localhost is being resolved to mycomputer.mydomain I
> gather)

It apache is redirecting the browser to
http://mycomputername.mydomain.edu.au/~mikel/

> Dont really follow about the binding.
> I understand about mapping to an address if it can loo up an addr from a
> name but not the bit about the "from" bit.

try tcpdump -i lo then point your browser to http://localhost/
and then http://mycomputername. Look at how your source
address changes depending on which address you point your browser
to.