On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 05:48:48PM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> At a guess, the first should work, and the second shouldn't.  Your
> browser is free to bind to any local interface it likes when it creates
> a socket to connect to somewhere... default behaviour for sockets is to
> try pick an appropriate interface, so if you point your browser at a
> "real" IP addres, or a domain name that maps to one, it will connect
> from your internet connection's address, not your localhost one.

Thats what I can't follow yet - that the "internet connection address" that
my browser is connecting FROM is not the same as "localhost" which is me.

My browser, in order for return packets to get back to my browser, sits on I
gather mycomputer:80 ie port 80 on my machine.
localhost is a "synonym" for 127.0.0.1 (cause /etc/hosts maps it) which is
my machine but not a machine and a port ie its just a machine.

Is that right?

--
Nirvana? That's the place where the powers that be and their friends hang out. --
Zonker Harris

Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Home: http://www.speleonics.com.au
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.