On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:34:09PM +1000, Scott Ragen wrote:
> Just one more thought.
> When I type free i get a total of 30628k of memory on a 32mb chip.
> Could this alter the amount of memory I would put in lilo for 128mb? nothing
> is onboard, no video, sound (if that makes a difference) or NIC card. Why
> would it report 29.9 MB of memory in total?

The reason free reports a little less memory than you have installed
is because the kernel takes some memory.

You only need to tell the kernel how much memory you have (via the
append="mem=.." lilo line) if the bios reports, say 128M, but the
kernel only see's 64M (for example). Then its recommended you use the
amount of memory the bios reports during a boot, usually in kilobytes.

If the bios only see's 32M you can't tell the kernel you have 128M.
It would be like going for a long walk off a short peer :)

> The Video Card is a 4mb pci, so it should be 128mb.
> The command like I put, that I read somewhere was append"mem=128m"
> Im not sure if it would work at all since its an old Pentium 150 that
> doesn't seem to be able to handle more then 32mb of SDRAM. Can someone
> please correct me if I'm wrong on both these statements.

Do a search for your motherboard on google, or the manufactures web page
to get the specs.