A few weeks ago I mentioned problems I was having with ipac using linux/2.4
kernel and most people pointed me to mrtg which works great but wasn't
exactly what I needed. I still don't have ipac working correctly with
ipchains and kernel 2.4.9-6 but I ran into a similar problem that led me to
think maybe it's the way the kernel was compiled (I'm using the rpm updates
from RedHat's online update service so I'm not sure what options are in
there).

I went to use my trusty copy of ntop which I have found to be most useful
and the same thing happened with it as ipac. No data whatsoever. So off I
went to google land and found info claiming that libpcap and tcpdump in
RH7.1 were broken. No problem, off to get the source and compiled the newest
versions. But no luck.

Further googling brought up a fairly obscure reference to people having a
similar problem The solution was to start ntop with the option of "not port
65432" which actually worked. Although several people asked why this worked
there was no response. All I can find out is that this port is sometimes
associated with the Trojan horse "Traitor". But I am very curious as to why
a program supplied with RH7.1 distribution (so it must have been tested) has
such a problem and why not using a specific port would fix it? And somehow I
wonder if this is related to the problem I'm having with ipac which also
won't collect any accounting data?

Ideas?

Cheers.