> > If it can be done, it's a nice way to get a cheap sheet-feeding scanner
> > (admittedly low res).
>
> Ah. That's... roundabout. But you could make it work... Maybe.
>
>   http://www.hylafax.org/
>
> Highly overengineered concept to get yourself a cheap scanner. :)

but the keyword is sheet-feeding. I don't know of any sub $200.00
scanners that come with a sheet feed option, and if available often the
sheet-feeder costs more than the scanner.

As pointed out above you can get a black box that "emulates" the dial
tone for you. Jaycar should be able to help you out. Also some fax
support 200 dpi scans so you may be able to get fairly good results.

Failing that get your self a $80,000 Kodak document scanner, we've got
them at work and they work really well, and if you don't want mis-feeds
you can go the air feed and air separated model. I don't the price that
scanner, but it had it's own room + air con :)

Regards

Mehmet Ozdemir