Well if you want the dodgy brothers way of doing it.... plug the faxmodem
and fax machine into the same line, use the fax machine's off hook button
(as in manually dialing) to pickup the line, wait approximately 90 seconds
for the line to fall silent, somehow get hylafax to manually answer (ie no
ringing happens) and press the start button on the fax machine, you have
about another 90 seconds before the line goes dead.

Personally I'd recommend either a cheap scanner or PABX. The scanner's
going to be less hassle in the long run. Actually, there's some
multi-function devices that are a scanner/printer/fax, if they work with
Linux you're really cookin'

--
Web: www.arcadia.au.com/gripz