Well my experience has been the contrary.

On one I provided a Win 2K box and the tech did the install with no probs
on my own NIC.  I then showed him how easy the Linux install was and he
left me with the Supplied NIC (loose) and the filter.

In the other case I arrived on site at the same time as the tech and
hadn't unpacked the old Win 2K out of my car.  I asked him if he needed it
as it was going to be Linux anyway.  He said no worries he had his laptop
in hand and checked the line ran with that.  We slipped the supplied NIC
in the Linux box and then did the Linux setup.

In my case both techs were very competent.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people