Hi all,
I need some collective wisdom on a process I have planned.

I have AUC running on a RH7 server, no problems. However I want to add
another package that requires me to rebuild Apache with MySql and PhP
support - again no trouble using Apache toolbox, I have done this as far as
'make'. The original Apache server was installed by the RH installer,
assumedly from an RPM.

It is important that this server be down for a minimum of time ie minutes
rather than hours.

My thoughts are that I should be able to shutdown the existing Apache,
unistall the RPM and then do the make install on my new server. Assuming I
have the conf file correctly setup, with the web root and doc root in
particular, then all I should have to do is to start the new server and we
are back in business.

If that works then I need to do something similar with MySQL as I have
'upgraded' from source over the top of an rpm install and there are stray
files all over the place! So shutdown MySql, uninstall the server, get rid
of any of the binaries from the source install - taking care to protect my
databases - re-install (perhaps the binary version) and re-start.

Does this sound logical

Simon Bryan