This one time, at band camp, S wrote:
>what is the concept of groups?

Groups are used to share resources between users.  For example, /dev/dsp is
group-owned by the 'audio' group, and I'm a member of that group.  /dev/dsp
has g+rw set, so that means I can play and record with my soundcard.  I
could also do this by letting my user own the device, but that restricts
usage... in another example, all users at work who can use the CD burner are
a member of the 'cdrw' group, allowing more than one user to burn CDs
(just not at the same time).

>what are the privileges of nobody?

Not a lot.

>Is is same as any other non-root user or is it special in anyway?

They're the anti-root... the reason nobody owns no files and has no
priviledges is so that daemons can run as nobody and if (when) the daemon is
exploited, the exploiter finds they've broken into a sealed vault with
nothing in it.

IMHO unix groups are an oft overlooked yet powerful feature of unix.  Many
people think that they are a hassle, but when used properly, there's a lot
of useful things that an admin can use them for.

Off the top of my head, I can think of none... ah well, no-one would've
believed me anyway.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net
and he won't bother you for weeks.