On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:06:36PM +1100, Tony Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 20:33, henry wrote:
> > Dear Sirs:

[snip]

> I would also make the suggestion that telnet is an insecure tool for
> remote access and should be used with caution.  Consider using ssh in
> its place.

Henry,

I suggest you do a "ngrep -d YOURINTERFACE" or "tcpdump -i YOURINTERFACE"
and see what is going on while you are trying to telnet.

*EVERYTHING* (in passwords, usernames) is in clear text and readable
by anyone ............

if you need to "ssh" from a windows box to a linux box use "putty".

--
If proof denies faith, and uncertainty denies proof, then uncertainty is proof of
God's existence.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia