On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 12:01, Steve Downing wrote:
> At 25 February 2002, Peter Hardy wrote:
> >On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 10:48, Steve Downing wrote:
> >If you don't mind recompressing them in a different format, then
cramfs
> >should do the job fine.  I don't know of anything to mount tarballs,
*snip*
> Looks promising.  Whats it like performance wise? It'll be running
> on a P150/48M Ram.  It's actually a WinZip file ATM, so I'll need
> to decompress it at least once anyway...

cramfs gets used to make initrd images, boot and rescue disks.  I've
personally only used it on the old LinuxCare rescue CDs, which kept kept
the root filesystem in a cramfs file on the CD.  Worked fine there on
similarly specced hardware.

--
Peter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

...and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists'
houses and smashing their windows.
                -- Discworld theology explained.
                   (Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic)