Probably go with something like Mandrake if you are after eas(ier) setup.

Mandrake 8.2 is about to come out, it is in Beta 4 release at present.

Even v8.0 features state
... can detect and automatically configure many of the most recent hardware devices.
Kernel 2.4.3 provides enhanced support for USB, Infrared and FireWire devices,  ...
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/mainfeatures8.0.php , 20572 bytes

Mandrake has kudzu and hardrake for hardware detection, and configuration.

Chris