Hi listers,

just installed mandrake 8.2 on my laptop, the furthest progress on linux
I've made so far after departing from slackware. was tinkering around
and few newbie questions that cropped up & I hope wouldn't take up much
of your time, mind you that some questions would seem trivial.

1) when gnome is loading, a beep is emitted. yet, when trying to play an
audio cd & a wav file, no sound is heard. peeked into rpmdrake, and
found gnome-audio package is installed. so where should I go poking next?
2) There're 3 other pc's using Win2k, and had some partitions shared.
How do I access those shared partitions? What program do I use
specifically? Do I simply mount them just like cdrom?
3) There's a black square-ish black box at the bottom right hand corner
of the screen. What's that for?
4) Was tinkering around and add a clock panel. had it removed, instead
of the rest of the icons filling up the empty space, it seems as if
there's a ghost copy, thus gaps. how do I remove those gaps?
5) how do I mount a NTFS volume created by W2k, that's residing on the
same hdd?
6) does licq able to use the data files used by windows version of icq2001b?
7) does Galeon able to use the mail data file created by windows
versionn of Netscape 6.2?
8) I'm using a broadband router. The manual deals with Windows only and
had instructions to fill in the address of DNS servers and the "DNS
suffix for this connection" field under windows. Is there such
equivalent field under linux? How do I add such entries?
9) Upon starting Gnome, it complains of my host isn't a valid entry.
Does it refers the host as the name of this pc? I'd put in
"nsw.bigpond.net.au" thinking that it's referring to "DNS suffix".
Obviously I'm wrong.
10) Lastly, installing StarOffice should be done under root, right?

Thank in advance.

Rgds,
H T Wijaya