On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:19:48PM +1000, Simon Wong wrote:

> > heard of Win4Lin.  It runs Windows 9x (95/98/ME) very well, and
> > there are extremely few hiccups with it.  Compatibility is
> > extremely high since you're running Windows inside a virtual
> > machine -- but the VM is _much_ faster than VMware.
>
> What apps are you running?

I mostly run Word, Excel and Paint Shop Pro 7 under it.  Hardly
demanding applications, but they work well.  Don't expect it to
be a full-blown Windows replacement though; one major limitation
of Win4Lin is that it doesn't emulate a whole lot of memory for
Windows.  By default, it ships with 32MB -- which seems pitiful
if you know anything about Windows, but I'm guessing that they
somehow have a different way of managing memory, because almost
all programs I've thrown at it seem to be very happy with that.

Truly memory-intensive beasts (e.g. Photoshop) will have no fun
under Win4Lin, though.  Version 4 may change that, if you're
really lucky.

> Have you/anyone tried running something similar that needs to talk to
> com/Ir ports?

I think that many people on the win4lin-users mailing list have
got Palm desktop etc to work properly, although a few of them
have problems with it.  However, it's always quite hard to
diagnose whether those users are having problems with Win4Lin
itself, or whether it's a non-Win4Lin related problem.  (e.g.
perhaps their kernel isn't configured properly.)

> > I bought a copy, I'm going to buy another one soon, and I have no
> > idea how I'd live without it.  www.win4lin.com for details.
> > They've mentioned that version 4 is going to be released quite
> > soon, too (within the next few weeks).
>
> Is there any way to get an evaluation version?  It seems you have top
> patch your kernel as well which seems extreme.  Was it easy?

They used to offer evaluation versions, but not any more.  Oh
well.

The kernel patch isn't too bad, but hey, I regularly patch my
kernels, so I don't find it to be a big deal.  They do keep up
with the latest kernel versions quite well, typically releasing
patches a day or two after the kernel comes out.  (No dice if
you're running 2.5, though.)

One thing to note is that their kernel patches are not compatible
with a lot of the more intrusive kernel patches, like rmap and
preempt.  It does co-exist nicely with the low-latency patches
though, which works very well for a desktop system.

Even with all these problems, I still recommend it fanatically.
I've managed to convert over a few people from Windows to Linux,
and they now use Linux exclusively, which would not be possible
without Win4Lin.  (Yeah, I know that sounds contradictory, but
you know what I mean :).  Being able to run Windows apps reliably
and quickly from Linux when you need to is a godsend.

--
#ozone/algorithm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          - trust.in.love.to.save