On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 03:54:30PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> DF> well that's what the discussion has been about, search back a few weeks
> DF> for the replies to my thread on the subject of secondary mx's.
>
> DF> If you have a secondary on the same site as your primary then it covers
> DF> you if the primary goes down but not if your site is cut off from the
> DF> net.  You could then have a tertiary mx that is off site of course.
> DF> Or you could not have any.
>
> It is my understanding that a secondary MX will still reject the mail
> 5 days after just like any other mailserver on the net would if you
> don't have a server up and running that can collect the mail or

That really depends on how it is setup; I'm doing secondary for one
domain which has been off the air for almost a week now. I'm just queueing
the mail. They'll let me know once they are back up and I'll send it all
on.

> there is a downside... the secondary can be used to spam you, as it
> can't check if they are a valid account until it's shunted to the
> primary or a server that deals with it...

But the primary can quite happily refuse to accept email even from a
secondary[*]. If you turn on 'sender_verify_callback_domain = *' in
Exim you'll probably catch a lot of spam no matter where it is from.

Anand

[*]: Technically you are violating the standard because your MX has agreed
to deliver the message but the ultimate destination is refusing to accept
it. But who cares, it is spam.

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never