Next SLUG Meeting - Friday, 26th April, 2002

     * When: 6:30pm - about 8:30pm (then dinner, etc)
     * Where: UTS, Central Sydney <http://slug.org.au/slugmeet.shtml>

     * RSVP: Please RSVP to [EMAIL PROTECTED] this month for dinner, as
       we're going to a new restaurant. Thanks!

The Usual Suspects - Starts 6:30pm

     * Q&A - "What has Linux done for/to me lately?"
     * SLUG News & Discussion

Lightning Talks

   Something new! 5 to 10 minute talks or presentations on cool new
   software, projects by SLUGgers, crazy hardware, news items,
   announcements, whatever! Quick intros to whet your appetite, for
   discussion on the list or during the break.

     * SpamAssassin - Tony Green
     * AquaPad - Anthony Rumble
     * SLUG Goes To Perth (LCA2003) - Peter Hardy

Postfix: Buffy the Mail Transfer Agent - Jeff Waugh

   An introduction to the Postfix Mail Transfer Agent, how it works, and
   cool stuff you can do with your email.

     * Postfix is easy!
     * Save truckloads in counselling and psychosis prevention
     * Guided tour
     * Configuration: Home, Office, Primary
     * Running a secondary MX (a ten second tutorial)
     * Best practices (stuff I've learned the hard way)
     * Banishing SPAM and Viruses

Introduction to the Python language - Andrew Bennetts

   """This talk will briefly cover basic Python, followed by a tour of some
   more advanced topics. Topics are likely to include:

     * the interactive interpreter
     * lists, tuples and dictionaries
     * functions, classes and methods
     * Python's object system (basically everything is an object)
     * functional-style programming with Python
     * some fun stuff new in Python 2.x:
          + list comprehensions, generators, nested scopes, ...
     * tricks with classes and objects:
          + the "Borg" pattern
          + changing an object's class at runtime (how, and why)
     * anything else I can think of, depending on time!

   This talk is basically a brief introduction to hopefully whet your
   appetite for more in-depth talks (both on the core language and on
   libraries available for Python), to be presented at the
   soon-to-be-announced Python-SIG!
   """

Dinner - Starts around 9:00pm

   If Boiled Television Entrails aren't seducing you to post-SLUG-meeting
   dinners anymore (like many of us), you'll be pleased to know that we're
   trying out a new restaurant this month: Spice Boys.  Please make sure you
   RSVP to [EMAIL PROTECTED], so we can give them an idea of numbers.

- Jeff

--
     "Free software never simply picks up its marbles and goes home." -
                            Jonathan Corbet, LWN