<quote who="Matthew Hannigan">

> Paul Copeland wrote:
> >I have looked at the ATI Radeon card listed for sale at Everything
> >Linux, which says it works with XFree 4.0.1 or higher.  Has anyone used
> >this card?

I'm not sure which Radeon chipset the card you are talking about has...

> Paul, I have a radeon 8500 and it is supported only in
> 2D and only under the very latest xfree 4.2.0 (I went
> the redhat beta route to get this xfree version).

I too own a Radeon 8500... 2D support in XFree86 4.2.0 is great, as for 3D:

The DRI project has support in the works for 3D hardware accelerated
graphics on the Radeon 8500. At the moment, that code is so alpha it isn't
even in CVS yet ;)

XiG have the AcceleratedX (commercial) X server, for around $150US (on
special at the moment, I believe) which supports the 8500. I downloaded the
demo and tried it, and it worked great - except for the 30 minute timeout on
the demo version :) Personally, the price tag is too high - I'd much rather
get involved in the open source driver development.

3D support for other Radeon chipsets below the 8500 is in the DRI project
current snapshots - particularly the TCL branch. I have no personal
experience with those cards, so I can't tell you how well they work.

In general, if all you're after is 2D support, XFree86 4.2.0 does most cards
well. For 3D on other recent chipsets, you may need to look at the DRI
project (http://dri.sourceforge.net) or the Utah GLX project
(http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net) or for NVidia cards, the nvidia binary
drivers (http://www.nvidia.com)

Cheers,
J.

--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils:
people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing."
 -Tom Dreesen