Thanks Dave,

I enabled kdebug <7> - logging incoming and outgoing packets - and am
now at least able to get some idea of the problem.

After a number of attempts to log on I have got a consistent message
that
"login script failed" due to

NO CARRIER
expect (ogin :)
expect (login :)
expect (username :)
expect (sername :)
NO CARRIER

I've not had any connection problem in Debian installs over two or so
years, and my XP drive has no problem connecting to Primus - and why the
'NO CARRIER' messages ?

At this point I've run out of ideas - any fresh input would be
appreciated.

Adam

P.O. Box 38, Earlwood, NSW 2206, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [current ISP]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [forwarding]