On Mon, 13 May 2002, Dan wrote:

> Our Telstra ADSL connection has been down all day :( and the boss is a bit
> peaved.
>
> Wondering what a good backup solution would be?
>
> I am in the process of setting up a Linux firewall and is it possible to
> have a modem in a Linux Firewall that is dialed when the ADSL fails? Would
> it be hard to set up?

It can be done of course. Easier and perhaps more relible to use one of
the ADSL routers that have a com port for just this purpose.  SMC has one
called the Barricade.  From the instructions I gather it runs a version of
'nix.  They have a html manager for configuring the dialup and routing
- very straightforward stuff.