<quote who="henry">

>    I often see "core dumped"  or "gdb -core=/usr/file"
>     but there are lots of machine-code when I read the file(core) from
>    editor-Joe .
>
>    Could someone share his experience  or give some clues?
>    What on earth it is for ?

A core dump is a snapshot of the process memory at the time it received the
signal which caused the core. Often, this occurs due to invalid memory
accesses in the file.

If the core contains debug info (and sometimes if it doesn't), you can use
it to help track down what happened by loading the core along with the
binary which produced it into a debugger like gdb.

Cheers,
J.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Homer: "No TV and No Beer make Homer something something"
Marge: "Go Crazy?"
Homer: "Don't mind if I do! aaaarrrarrgghar!"