At Wed, 15 May 2002 18:52:03 +0800, henry wrote:
> I often see "core dumped"  or "gdb -core=/usr/file"
>  but there are lots of machine-code when I read the file(core) from editor-Joe
> Could someone share his experience  or give some clues?
> What on earth it is for ?

debugging. its a copy of what was in memory at the time the core was
generated (usually in response to a segfault).

for example, do:

 gdb /path/to/core /usr/bin/executable_that_generated_the_corefile

and type "where" at the gdb prompt.

("file /path/to/core" is a good way of finding out what program
generated a particular core file)

core files are a superb way of debugging that rare, hard to find bug
without instrumenting your entire code with wasted debugging info and
then finding somewhere to log it.  i wish more linux people new about
them and enabled them (raise the ulimit max size for core files above
0 bytes).

--
 - Gus