At Wednesday, 12 June 2002, Harry Ohlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My faithful old HP Laserjet 4MP has finally kicked the bucket :-
(.  So, I'm
>looking to replace it with something reasonably good, but as cheap as
>possible.
>
>A number of the cheaper printers I've seen on the market seem to
only have USB
>connectors.  I know there's USB support in Linux for printers, but
I imagine,
>like most things, only some subset of the available USB printers
are usable.

>I'd be interested to hear any success stories, to save myself buying
one that
>turns out not to work.
>
>In case it's important, I'll probably be connecting this to a machine
running
>Redhat 7.2 with a 2.4.18 kernel.  If it's going to make a big difference
in
>terms of the number of compatible printers, I could potentially
connect it to
>another machine that's running Redhat 7.3 out-of-the-box.
>
>I'd be more interested in connecting to the first machine, for two
reasons: I
>know its USB controller works under Linux (I'm sync-ing my Clie
via USB); and
>that machine is in the room I work most of the time.

I got my HP Deskjet 930C running using CUPS pretty easily.  Modprobe
usbprinter (WARNING:Module name from memory there!) and then find
your way to the nearest CUPS admin interface (http or commandline).

I was happy enough with black and white, but did manage to coax a
colour print out of it once or twice too.

Steve
--
"We live in an age of continuous partial attention."
--Ms. Linda Stone, researcher and VP at Microsoft

http://www.helmsdeep.net/capn-k/
Linux | Windows | CAD | Audio Visualisation and more