<quote who="James Gregory">

> I'd set up a Mandrake 7.2
> system on a P1 or a 486 or something and she was running all her
> software remotely from my Athlon accross xdm (well, gdm but it's the xdm
> protocol AFAIK).

(As an aside, the display stuff is still the X protocol, but gdm/xdm and I
think kdm use the XDMCP - X Display Manager Client Protocol - to get the
display manager running on the client straight away.)

> All that said - you might want to look into using Linux replacements for
> your windows software rather than trying to emulate windows. I think
> Gabber will talk MSN Messenger.

GAIM is probably a better bet - Gabber relies on the jabber.org servers to
talk to MSN, and they generally don't work. GAIM does all the multiprotocol
stuff locally, and talks MSN, AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, etc.

- Jeff

--
    100% Pure Slashdot Wisdom: "Source code gives a whole new meaning to
                              free software."