Peter Chubb wrote:

> Peter>  I wonder what the pros and cons are of leaving ones domestic
> Peter> grade home computer powered up continually.  I have one of
> Peter> lionels dual cpu celeron smp motherboards.
>
> I've found that most of my machines have died in one of two
> circumstances:
>         -- nearby lightning strike, or
>         -- turning on the power.

I would agree. Jill and I have several home machines running; a DEC
Alpha, a Sparcs an Intel and an AMD box.  They are left on all the time
** BUT do listen to the weather reports each evening. **
 If a thunderstorm is predicted turn em off and disconnect the power
leads from the wall. Businesses run UPSes and power surge protection
equipment on servers and they usually cope with a brownout or a stike at
a nearby sub station. Home PCs need that air-gap during a storm :-)

--
Mike Lake
Uni of Technol., Sydney

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.