On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 09:14, Yuri wrote:
> The most easiest will be just to do
> $ cp /dev/cdrom cdrom.iso
>
> Magic of "everything is a file" Unix :)
>
> On Sunday 13 October 2002 16:12, Terry Collins wrote:
> > Looking for a heads up on how to copy a CD under Linux?
> >
> > I thought the procedure was to dd if=device of=some.iso, then cdrecord
> > it.
> > I'm having trouble with dd in that it has taken over 60 minutes to copy
> > 200Mb, so I don't hink I'm correct in my assumption.
> >
> > So how do I copy off the cd iso?
> >

> > Apologies if this is in the archive, but I can not currently see
> > www.slug.org atm.
>
> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group - http://slug.org.au/

If using dd, remember to set a block size - something like 4k or 8k at a
minimum for a CD. The bigger, the faster the copy will go, in general. I
use about 1024k (dd if=/dev/hdd of=foo.iso bs=1024k).

Note that if you have IRQ unmasking turned off, this will make the
machine very hard to use, however. In that case, use smaller values
until it seems OK.
--
Stephen Robert Norris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Farrow Norris Pty Ltd