Thanks for the replies.

I sort of figured the tarball would be the only solution. I would've preferred .debs though, but definitely not at the cost of upgrading the entire system to unstable.

Java works, I installed the blackdown stuff with no trouble. So off to pay my bills via the Commonwealth Bank java applet...

Best regards,
Matthias