Hi Dan,

Ok... If its a share you want to export *from* your MS Windows box *to*
your GNU/Linux box, then you do not need to set up your smb.conf on your
GNU/Linux box.

I believe you need an entry in your fstab using smbfs... Check out the
tools for mounting a windows share in your samba package.

If you want to export a share from GNU/Linux to MS Windows then you need
to set up your smb.conf correctly. You want at least a default share.

You can use tools such as SWAT and Webmin to set up your smb.conf

Please note that "share" is an abstraction, and should be substituted with
an actual share name, not used directly.

For example, if  you've got a directory on you linux box under
/home/samba/linux_stuff that you want to share with your Windows box you
would have a section like:

---START---
[linux_stuff]
        comment = Stuff on my GNU/Linux server
        path = /home/samba/linux_stuff
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 7775
        directory mask = 7775
---END---

as part of your smb.conf

>From your windows box, you would mount it as your F: drive via:

net use f: \\<linuxbox>\linux_stuff

It takes a little while to get your head around Samba, but it's worth it -
just need to keep reading documentation, and keep it simple for yourself.

All the best...

Mike <-- suffering lack of sleep, and hoping he is making sense.
---
Michael S. E. Kraus
Administration
Capital Holdings Group (NSW) Pty Ltd