On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 20:15, Peter Hardy wrote:

> This looks like the device described at
> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1303
> , but I can't be sure without checking the device ID.  Use lsusb from a
> sommand line, or the usbview tool to get the ID for your drive and
> compare.
yes, device ID checks out. This must be it.

> The device it is allocated appears in the log messages when the drive
> is recognised.  Libranet is Debian-based, from memory, so plug the
> drive in and look in /var/log/syslog to see what your kernel thinks of
> it.

I did as you suggested and syslog produced some interesting messages:

Jan 22 20:32:55 senator kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity
not assured
Jan 22 20:32:55 senator kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 3
Jan 22 20:32:55 senator /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for
USB product 5e3/702/2
Jan 22 20:32:55 senator /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user
mode driver usb-storage

I suppose if I'm to have any hope of getting this drive to work I will
have to follow that tip from qbik.ch; remove those offending lines from
source file and recompile my kernel. I can't say I'm especially happy
about this, but at least now I've got something to go on. Thank you very
much!