Alan L Tyree wrote:
> I have to put together a presentation and I would like to use a LaTeX
> based solution. I have had a look at Michael Wiedmann's page that lists
> a lot of solutions:
> http://www.miwie.org/presentations/presentations.html
> Has anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with any particular
> solution? Other people at this thing will be using Powerpoint, so I
> would like to look as good as they do.

The above site is excellent.
I have used mainly the seminar.sty and prosper package. Both are
excellent. The propser has more control over the PDF file and can do
slide transitions and you can use colour more easily. The seminar
package has more control over things like creating smaller slides like 4
to an A4 page which can be printed out to hand out to people or use as a
cue for yourself.

One general suggestion i have is to avoid anything that looks like a
PowerPoint (PP) presentation. Two reasons; I dot think that those styles
are very professional or laid out well. The background yakes away impact
from the content. 2. Such PP styles are now like the descending flight
of ducks on the wall. They are over cliched and over used. Eg for the
prosper example (Figure 1.5) they have a screen shot that looks like a
PowerPoint Presentation. That's what to avoid IMO. But you can use
prosper and make your own style quite easy. Its an excellent package.

For the last presentation I made in January at a conference I preented a
summary of a Web based cave database. I used an off white background,
and black text (Utopia). At the bottom for those that were bored I put a
short bit of data extracted from the actual database of funny cave
names. That was done in a smaller font and at a gray of 75% so it didnt
detract from my main text.
I presntation like that might stood out amoung the others precisely
because it was low-key and had more contrast.

Things that are nice about prosper is that you can embed PDF commands
like telling Acrobat to open up as full screen, slide mode when you
click on the .pdf file (Windows and Mac OSX only). Interestingly the
organiser asked me how I did that. Others had to start acrobat and then
use the menus to set it while the audience waited.

mgp looked quite nice but you need your own laptop running Linux to use
it. Also make sure it uses nice fonts that are smooth and not bitty. I
like prosper or seminar as you can make PDF which any PC will display.
**** Make sure they have Acrobat 5.0 installed and get them to test your
PDF beforehand ***

!!!! All of the above though depends on what you are presenting and what
the audience expects. !!!!

Mike
--
Mike Lake
Uni of Technol., Sydney

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.