On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 08:39, Graeme Robinson wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2003, James Gregory wrote:
>
> > Annnyway, I'm looking for something I can suggest to him which will
> > setup a good iptables firewall and is clicky.
>
> SME server is a great firewall (uses iptables) but it's not 'clicky' in
> the sense that anyone who can click a mouse can change it's configuration.
>
> This is sensible because you really need to know what you are doing to
> properly configure a firewall and a casual 'clicky' approach is almost
> certainly not a good indicator of this.

Perhaps I should qualify this. I agree that you need to be very
competent to build a good firewall. However, GUIs can work really well
for assembling them. I suppose what I'm really looking for is something
like Raptor Firewall. I stumbled upon fwbuilder, which looks promising.
The webmin frontend to shorewall also sounds good (though I haven't
looked at it). But, I really want to tell this guy "here, install this
and you can set up a bad ass firewall really easily". You can grock
networks without knowing iptables syntax.

But thanks for the suggestion. Actually sounds like the sort of thing I
might use elsewhere.

James.