On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 12:51, Jason Frank wrote:
> cygwin+xfree86 port for cygwin over ssh
> vnc

So just to elaborate a little on this since it isn't entirely
transparent to someone used to the Windows paradigm.

Linux (or more generally, systems using the X Windowing system) use a
system whereby the piece of software that interacts with you (accepts
input from keyboard and mouse, displays stuff on the screen) is distinct
from the applications you are running. The part that does screen drawing
etc is called an 'X server'. Your applications are called 'X clients',
so named because it is a network system -- the clients make a network
connection to the server and asks the server to draw stuff on the
screen, send keystrokes back to it etc. In the normal case, both the
client and the server run on the same computer (though it's completely
transparent most of the time), but there's no reason not to separate
them. That's how Xceed works - it's just an X server which happens to
run on windows. It is expensive, but it's also very good and has some
nifty features I've not found elsewhere. If you just want to start
playing, the port of XFree86 to Windows is hard to beat. It does
essentially the same thing.

I think I installed it by grabbing the cygwin installer and ticking the
"XFree86" box in the installer. It did the rest of the work for me. You
configure your linux box to use gdm (or similar) to export displays to
other computers (there's a GUI config tool to do this, but ask if you
have problems, I realise I'm being brief), and then you basically just
start the X server on your windows computer and you'll have a linux
desktop right there on your Windows box inside a window.

The other option is vnc - which is a nifty utility which essentially
does the same thing. It's a thin line, but I would say the tools are
such that it's easier to set things up with a Windows X server.

The links:

http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/

Googling for VNC yields two links these days, which is a bit of a
surprise:

This one is the one I remember:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

And this one I've never heard of but they claim to be the 'real' vnc:
http://www.realvnc.com/

oh, btw, one advantage of vnc over straight X is that you can have a
session which you can stop and start from wherever you are. That is,
when you log out of the vnc client, the server keeps running in the
background, and when you connect again you can pick up where you left
off.

It's worth reading up on all this, http://www.tldp.org/ is an excellent
place to go to find out how to do all manner of stuff on Linux. I
haven't been there in ages but http://linuxnewbie.org/ used to have some
good articles which I found useful even after a few years of using Linux
exclusively.

HTH,

James.