Hi James:

My apologies for the way the reply is being done. I think the mail
client at netaddress is not formatting it properly. So I am replying
via outlook express. Hope this is clearer. I appreciate your time to
help me out on this matter.

My comments are below under quoting " Louis>>> "

yes, that's correct. gdm is *not* gdmsetup. Log in as root and then type
'gdmsetup', not 'gdm'.

gdm is the program which actually does all the work. gdmsetup is its
configuration tool.

run "ps -ef | grep dm". It will list the details of some of the programs
running on your computer. In all probability the right most column will
tell you what display manager you're using. If it's not working after
all this stuff, tell us which dm it is and perhaps we'll know what's
wrong.

Louis>>> From a reply from Ken (You may have read his reply as it was Cc
to the slug list), I was able to find out where XDMCP is setup from
Gnome.
So from GDM Configurator I did the following:

1. Selected Options->Expert->XDMCP and tick "Enable XDMCP"
2. I selected the "Chooser" tab and ticked "Broadcast query". For the
"Hosts to list" I am not sure what to enter. I just entered the IP of
the
Enternet card of the Master PC.

Anyway I just did the "ps -ef | grep dm". What I see on the rhs are:

Sendmail: accepting connections
/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon (different PID)
/etc/X11/X :0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.
grep dm

However after enabling XDMCP, and rebooting Linux, from the Master
PC I restarted XFREE86 with the command

Xwin.exe -query 127.0.0.1

This did not work. I do not know what to do in Linux to setup IPs.
I only saw the IP 127.0.0.1. However after browsing the web I discovered
that this IP is a loopback IP.

Another point I noted. When Linux was booting up, I noticed that the
"Bringing up interface eth0" FAILED . Could this also be another issue ?
The Network card on the slave PC where Linux OS resides as well is a
3Com Network card. Are there special drivers I need to install
to get Linux to detect this card or get a PASS when booting ?

However in Linux Gnome, from:

System Settings -> Network Configuration -> Hardware (tab) shows:

3Com for eth0 device.

The Device tab also shows "eth0". I did not add it, so Linux
automatically
detected the device.

> >What distribution are you using? you might have mentioned but I've
> forgotten. Hopefully someone here can tell you what the default
> display manager (that's what the dm part is for) is and if there's an
> easy way to get to the configuration tool for it.
>
> Louis> Red hat Linux 7.2

Is it gdm, anyone?

Louis>>> as I said above GDM was found.

> Louis> tried "Xwin -query 127.0.0.1". An X window opened like in
> Louis> Exceed
> but I see no Linux login as yet for the above reasons.

ok. Again, try this post-gdmsetup. 127.0.0.1 is the wrong address -
that's an address reserved for the local machine. The address you're
looking for will be 192.168.soemthing.something. probably 0.something.

Louis>>> How do I find out this address "192.168.something.something"
???? Seems to me
that this has to be manually added.

> >oh, and in case you don't know what the IP is on either box, you use
> the "ipconfig" command to find out on windows, and "/sbin/ifconfig
> eth0" on Linux.
>
> Louis> I got the IP addresses. However typing the "sbin/ifconfig eth0"
> for Linux on slave PC returned something that made no sense to me.

Ok, you should read up on this stuff, but, here's the crash course. On
my machine, when I type /sbin/ifconfig eth0, this is what I get:

$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:A5:9C:F4:FE
         inet addr:192.168.9.20  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         collisions:0
         RX bytes:3206950 (3.0 Mb)  TX bytes:332057 (324.2 Kb)

(slightly compressed to prevent line wrapping)

The line you're interested in is this one:

inet addr:192.168.9.20  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

Louis>>> I ran the command on my Linux machine again, and here is all I
see
for what you said.

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

There is no "Bcast" there !!

I also see

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING    MTU:16436     Metric:1

There is no "UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST".

> From the master PC running Windows 2000, I can ping the
> "Autoconfiguration IP Address" returned from an "ipconfig" for the
> "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" of the slave PC running
> Windows 2000. However I still cannot map the network drives of the
> slave PC running windows 2000 onto the master PC. Any hints on what
> step I am missing ??

umm, ok, this is something entirely different. You told me you wanted to
map network drives as a connectivity test. Ping is the right tool for
the job for connectivity tests. If you want to "map network drives" you
need to use the right tool for that job.

anyway, if you can ping in one direction I'd be amazed if you couldn't
ping in the other direction (in this configuration anyway).

Louis>>> From both Windows 2000 between Master and Slave I can ping both
Network cards. However from Linux a ping to the Master PC Network card
failed.
This may have something to do with the "eth0" failed to come up during
boot up.

In short you need to use a thing called "samba". I suspect Redhat has a
tool to configure this for you - I don't know what it is though. Just
before I go any further, if you read any document which tells you to
build samba, look it squarely in the face and say "NO I WILL NOT BUILD
SAMBA!" - install it from RPMs, you will save yourself much pain. I'm
also not sure if redhat 7.x had the version of samba that could talk to
windows 2000. It might save you some time and misery to upgrade to
redhat 8.0 before you get started with file sharing. Runing "rpm -qa |
grep -i samba" will tell you what samba stuff you have installed. Again,
there's a gui tool for this, but I don't know it. I get this output:

$ rpm -qa | grep -i samba
samba-doc-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk
samba-common-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk samba-winbind-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk
samba-client-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk samba-server-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk

Louis>>> The above command shows me this:

samba-2.2.1a-4
samba-swat-2.2.1a-4
samba-client-2.2.1a.4
samba-common-2.2.1a-4

There is no "samba-server". So I take it that this is not installed.

Anyway, peruse these documents for some background on samba. I'd leave
samba until you've got your X problems sorted out (for the simple reason
that you'll have any network problems solved that way), but if you're
really keen they give you some background on how it all works, which
will help once you locate your preferred configuration tool and start
setting everything up:

good overall guide:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

some playstation 2 specific stuff, but has some eg config files.
http://playstation2-linux.com/download/cfyc/HOWTO_setup_samba.html

the samba home page. Documentation is here:
http://au1.samba.org/samba/samba.html

Louis>>> I will check them out after the Networking is sorted out.

> From Linux machine a ping test on the "Autoconfiguration IP Address"
> returned from an "ipconfig" for the "Ethernet Adapter Local Area
> Connection" of the Master PC running Windows 2000 returned "Network is
> unreacheable".
>
> Am I using the right IP addresses here ?

umm, ok. Can you copy and paste exactly what you're doing here (in
linux, just selecting the text will copy it. Middle clicking, or
clicking both mouse buttons if you don't have a middle mouse button,
will paste). Also paste the output of /sbin/ifconfig. Did you tell your
linux box to use an "automatic IP" or something? That may not work, it
depends on how your windows computer is configured. Anyone know if
windows acts as a dhcp server if there aren't any other dhcp servers
around?

Louis>>> I have no idea how to add an IP to Linux. Also the Linux on the
slave PC does not even
have internet connection setup as yet. I am writing this email from the
Master PC. I am actually
at this stage manually typing the Linux output from above. If I had the
networking going I could
mount a windows drive on the slave PC within Linux (got to remember how
to do that again). Then
the copy/pasting would be easy. I also have no clue if I have to add Ips
in Windows 2000 so that
I can even map to a Network Drive.

Of course all this copying and pasting is reliant on you getting the
network going, but hopefully this will get you a little closer.

I would suggest configuring your linux computer with a manual IP. If
you're on a "standard" windows network, 192.168.0.69 is a good one. Your
netmask should be 255.255.255.0, and broadcast address should be
192.168.0.255. Then you *know* what IP address to ping from windows.
Redhat will have a tool to configure this.

Louis>>> What tool is this in Linux. Is it from the

"Network Configuration" -> "Hosts" tab ??

Louis.