On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 20:20, LS wrote:

> >> I would suggest using ssh from day one. It is a much better system.
>
> Louis> Yes you are right. I already have Putty installed on my Master
> on windows. I just tried it to connect via SSH to the Linux machine
> on the slave and it works without any worries. I think I might leave
> Telnet out for now. FYI the file is under /etc/xinetd.d/telnet .
>
> What about ftp, send mail etc..., is there a special file for those
> for me to enabled them ?

depends what you want to do with the box. You generally run an mta
(sendmail, postfix, exim etc) on linux boxes to deliver local mail. It
depends if you have other needs as to whether or not you play with these
thigns.

I don't run ftp normally. I have been asked to setup anon-ftp
occasionally - I generally think putting files on http servers works
better. scp for uploading. If you have people that *need* ftp for
whatever reason, then set it up I guess. rsync over ssh is the most
fashionable way to be uploading files these days.

HTH

James.