On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:38:30AM +1030, David Fitch wrote:
> [ ..... ]
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: next auth method to try is password
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
> debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method password
>
> and now I'm logged in.  Before doing the ssh my DISPLAY
> var was set to ":0", now on lisa it is not set, and not
> surprisingly xterm fails to work.  According to all the
> man pages/faqs/googles I can find it "should just work"...

It looks like your ssh is not requesting X forwarding,
regardless of the -X flag.

I get a "debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing."
when I tried "-v -v -X" here, even when it is denied from
the other side.

The lack of the DISPLAY variable also points to this.
Typically, it will be something like lisa:10.

So why is your ssh not asking for X11 forwarding?
Maybe there's an option in your local .ssh config
(personal or /etc/ssh/ssh_config which says not
to ask for X)  Or maybe it doesn't know you using
X at the local end.  I presume the DISPLAY is exported.
You could try setting it explicitly:
        export DISPLAY=desktop1:0
and try again.

Matt