On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 14:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:18:15PM +1030, David Fitch wrote:
> > hmmmm maybe something funny is happening with xauth??
> > I noticed doing "ssh -v -v -X lisa" it's displaying:
> > debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/bin/X11/xauth list spiral:0 2>/dev/null
>
> What is "spiral?"

my local desktop machine

> > this appears one line before the "requesting X11 forwarding"
> > message.  Is that running on my local desktop or the remote
> > machine?  cos manually doing "xauth list" on my desktop returns
> > various stuff but doing it on the remote machine returns nothing,
> > and there is no .Xauthority file in my home dir on the remote
> > machine, but there is on my local desktop one...
>
> Permissions problem?  Maybe you can't write to your own
> home dir to write the .Xauthority file?

no I can create an empty one, I copied root's .Xauthority
and did xauth merge to create one for me so I have one
now - but of course all that should have "just happened".

> Firewall?  Ssh has to listen to the forwarding port (6000 + DISPLAY screen)
> i.e. localhost:6010 on the destination machine.
>
> Try netcat (nc -p 6010 -l) to this works.
>
> Running out of ideas ...

I'm suspecting the firewall at the remote end at the moment,
(think it's blocking too much internal stuff rather than just
external) gonna try and talk to the guy who's looking after that.
Thanks for the ideas and help.

Dave.