On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:22:31AM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On  5 Mar, Peter Hardy wrote:
> >  Exactly, and the RPM shouldn't be completely destroying your old config.
> >   File a bug report. :-)
>
> I'm sure they'd just say `You're not supposed to alter the Makefile,
> it's not a config file,' and they're kind of right.  Then I'd say `But

It *is* a config file:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -q sendmail
    sendmail-8.11.6-23.73
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -qlc sendmail|grep Makefile
    /etc/mail/Makefile

> surely it's bad design to not even check that the files you're
> replacing haven't been modified by the user, though?', and from there

It should do that for config files, and either save the new one as
Makefile.rpmnew or save the old one as Makefile.rpmsave.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]