On  8 Mar, Terry Collins wrote:
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>  ...snip.....
> > How weird is that?  But in either case, it appears it won't update
> > anything except the hot fixes that RH produce.  So I can't update kde to
> > 3.1 or gnome from 1.4 to 2.2, it seems.
>
>  That is correct. RH up2date only responds to updates for each version
>  that RH posts. Although, mu up2date/RHN is a gui which lists old and
>  new.

"mu up2date/RHN"?  I know now that up2date can be used to list old and
new packages, and by default runs instead as a gui, but I don't really
understand what you're saying there.

> Have you registered at http://rhn.redhat.com (?)

Yes, though I don't think I'd visited it until today.  I get the email
about RHM updates, and recommendations to run up2date, and do so.

But I just visited the URL and logged in, and it said my system is
badly out of date (and that my browser (netscape 4.78) is unsupported),
and then goes on to list 1259 packages in the errata.  Yet up2date says
they're all up to date (except the kernel, since RH uses older kernels
than me).

]# up2date --list

Fetching package list for channel: redhat-linux-i386-7.2...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: redhat-linux-i386-7.2...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel

The following Packages were marked to be skipped by your configuration:

Name                                    Version        Rel  Reason
kernel                                  2.4.18         26.7.xPkg name/pattern
kernel-source                           2.4.18         26.7.xPkg name/pattern

None of the packages you requested were found, or they are already updated.

>  As mentioned before, I would recommend noting the rpms that you need,
>  then use wget or similar to pull those from the aarnnet/redhat/updates
>  directory into /var/spool/up2date directory, then run the RHnetwork
>  updater.

Certainly the packages listed as available for my system, which I
should upgrade to, are the same as the packages I have updated and
already installed.

But in any case, these packages don't include new things like the
latest major versions of kde or gnome.  They really are just errata
fixes.

luke