At Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:42:22 +1100, Stewart  wrote:
> Well, time came to bite the bullet and go Debian. This afternoon I
> downloaded the net installer using wget on my Mac. Only it seems that
> wget fetched it in ASCII mode, aargh...
>
> $ file woody_netinst-20020626-i386.iso
> woody_netinst-20020626-i386.iso: ASCII text
>
> is there some way to convert it to binary? my bandwidth usage is
> already way over for this month...

easiest (and most robust) would be to rsync this file against a good
one.

afaik, HTTP has no "ascii mode".  perhaps it converted \n into \n\r
(Mac EOL), but that would be peculiar for wget.  even still, this
shouldn't be enough to make file(1) think its a text file.

perhaps your .iso file isn't an iso at all, but a nice HTML error page
saying "file not found" or somesuch.  have a look at it and see.

--
 - Gus