> I want to run some software that is only certified for RedHat, but
> would prefer not to use that, so need to find out what RedHat 7.3 (or
> 8) actually is, like what versions is it using eg. kernel, xfree,
> glibc ... and what what it's compiled with (gcc-2.95 or gcc-3.?)

jeez that'll be difficult, RH is built on released software plus a
squillion patches, there kernel, xfree glibc and compilers are heavily
enough patches..

You can just look at the nemas of the RPMS/SRPMS for the package for the
distrib you want so for RH 8.0
kernel-2.4.18-14.i686.rpm
glibc-2.2.93-5.i386.rpm
gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm
binutils-2.13.90.0.2-2.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72.i386.rpm

etc, but these packages probably contain bugfixes over and above released
versions, I doubt they contain any incompatibilities..

Dave.

> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group - http://slug.org.au/

David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
pam_smb / Linux DecStation / Linux VAX / ILUG person