On Fri, 30 May 2003, Gareth Walters wrote:

> I am setting up a new web proxy/cache using squid and I am trying to get
> authentication working with squid from winbind.

I've not actually done this specific method myself but I have used various
other proxy auth schemes.

> The reasoning behind it was to avoid the username/password dialog for
> web access but still force authentication.

The holy grail... I could be wrong (and I hope so!) but I think it's going
to pop up an initial password box.

> The problem I am finding is after following the instructions at,
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html
>
> It doesn't work.
> I can use wbinfo (even successfully test authenticating a user) and everything
> checks out ok I can even get the list of users from the domain via "getent
> passwd"

What about wb_auth -d ? what happened when you tried that bit? If that
returns OK you're problem is in squid.conf and particularly in
combinations of ACL rules & so forth.

> But every auth request in squid fails and I cannot work out why as there
> doesn't seem to be any more tests/debugging I can do.

If you still think it's an auth problem, write a wrapper for wb_auth that
logs STDIN & STDOUT. I have previously used smbauth which is just a C
wrapper for a shell script calling smbclient which just see's if it can
read a file off the SMB server of choice. Alternately, just write a quick
C program that takes a line of input and returns OK or ERROR in a
continuous loop, the input line will contain "username password".

> Has anyone got this working?
> Is there a better way to do this?

What you've got sounds like it should be good, but failing that have a
hunt around for smb_auth which doesen't require recompiling squid. For
that matter I can't see why you'd need to recompile squid for wb_auth.

FYI, for one client I wrote something to check a mysql database for it's
authentication source and gave him a command line utility to maintain it.

--
Grant Parnell - senior consultant