> >> I'm new to this list and I need some help! I just ran grub-install on
> >> my root partition instead of my boot partition and it appears to have
> >> wreaked it.

when the old LILO bootloaded installed it used to back up the old
first sector of the disk it was installing in under /boot.
Hopefully GRUB does the same.

I can see an interesting looking /boot/boot.b on my system which
might stand for "boot block". you may be able to dd that back onto
/dev/hda5 and just maybe that will work. have a look at the time
stamp on /boot/boot.b and see if it looks close to when you did
the grub install.

there is a complicated procedure to rebuild ext2 partition tables
if through mischance you trash them. (i once spent 3/4 of a day doing
just this; there is a HOWTO about it that explains it pretty well)
it may or may not work for Reiserfs partition tables.

good luck,
stuart.