> when the old LILO bootloaded installed it used to back up the old
> first sector of the disk it was installing in under /boot.
> Hopefully GRUB does the same.
>
> I can see an interesting looking /boot/boot.b on my system which
> might stand for "boot block". you may be able to dd that back onto
> /dev/hda5 and just maybe that will work. have a look at the time
> stamp on /boot/boot.b and see if it looks close to when you did
> the grub install

boot.b seems to be a lilo thing (do a strings /boot/boot.b)

unfortuneately grub does not seem to make a backup.

Maybe you make a another reiserfs on a another similarly
sized file system, and dd the the first block of that
onto your destroyed filesystem, then try a reiserfsck
on the result.  (clutching at straw here though, I don't
know how much info reiser puts in the first block)

Matt