Hai

I ran Mandrake 7.1->8 on a crappy P1 166 with 32mb of ram
and your just overloading your system. Linux is very
deceptive it will allow you to overload the hell out of
your system and still work but things just get slower.

I could get my old P1 166 to load Mandrake 8 in under 30
seconds to the GUI.

So how did I do it.

1. Check what services your running moneys on your running
services that have no use to you, and Mandrake is great at
turning services on that you never use. You can check what
services are running under "drakconf" services are under
the system menu.Also I used to disable the hardware detection
on bootup I found this recovered about 10 seconds alone.

2. Forget the KDE and Gnome GUI your wasting your time with
a 200mhz machine try either XFCE or Icewm or something that
isn't as intensive as Gnome or KDE. You might want to look
at getting rid of the fancy graphical login too.

I used blackbox (GUI)for a whole year and I could get it to boot
up after login on a P1 166 in less than 15 seconds.

Hope this helps

Richard Neal

--
    GPLG