Well I'm hardly an expert, but I think most distributions have a tool
available from the gui menu which allows you to look at running processes
and see some statistics on them. Perhaps having a look at that when there is
little disk activity and then comparing it to when there is heaps would
help. Wouldn't hurt to focus on memory usage as well in case its you swap
partition that is getting hammered.

Regards

Rob T

This mail, including any attached files may contain
confidential and privileged information for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use,
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended receipient (or authorised to
receive information for the recipient), please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of
this message.