G'day...

Mary's experience isn't unsuprising. Woolloomooloo has a high number of vagrants living in and around the area. The closest train station is Kings Cross.

To get from the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel to the train station, you are forced to walk through this area and the walk is about fifteen minutes uphill often where it isn't well lit and there aren't many other people around. Going to another train station or next point of public transport you also need to walk for a similar period of time, often through parts where you don't really see many other people. (Read propensity for danger late at night.)

I'm pretty damn confident walking the streets of Sydney at any time - but I wouldn't  really recommend this area to be doing that in.

Warmest regards

Mike
---
Michael S. E. Kraus