On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 20:36, Laurie Savage wrote:

> But I should have mentioned that
> even if you keep user names the same, different distros presumably
> allocate different UIDs to the users and so the ownership of home
> directories becomes confused.

Redhat always made me uid=500, and Debian makes me uid=1000.

During installs, there's always been a place where I can specify mount
points, including for already initialized partitions, and I specify my
existing /home partition then.  I also create the named user account,
same name as before, and don't concern myself about the uid.

After rebooting, but before signing in as my user, I go in as root and
do "cd /home; chown -R user.user user".

I've gone both ways, and haven't lost anything I cared enough about to
recall now.  I haven't found anything this doesn't work for, but I'm
running a personal system, so my experiments are limited.

If I had a lot of users, I'd write a script that wrote out the account
names and run it while things were working, so I'd have it against the
day.  Then I'd run another script that did the above off the list to
restore them all.

If the user data is kept somewhere as uid numbers, this would be more
complicated, as those might change.  I don't know of such, but there
might be a volid reason I don't know of to do that, or just an
unfortunate design decision.

Cheers,
Bret
bwaldow at alum.mit.edu