This one time, at band camp, Peter Hardy wrote:
>I'm very out of touch with the way of the Red Hat, but is there
>seriously that much difference between rpm's installed packages db and
>dpkg's?

rpm uses Berkeley DB format in /var/lib/rpm; there were rpm bugs in 7.3 and
8.0 releases of Red Hat which meant that rpm would just stop dead in its
tracks without closing the database properly, requiring a --rebuilddb after
nuking the database.

The only difference I've noticed is that you can easily edit the Debian
package database when something goes wrong; whereas with RPM you have to
nuke and rebuild.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg